Handymen are usually skilled in a variety of different home maintenance projects and can help with remodeling, repairs, plumbing, concrete, carpentry, landscaping and many more. These home maintenance services usually will include someone coming out to the home to evaluate the situation and see what needs to be done. The nice part about this preparatory period is the serviceman can get a good idea of how much work it will take to fix it and also how much it will cost. This is a great way to get a price estimate from the company and to also find out about how long it will take to fix it. You can have an accurate scope of the total costs and time it will take to get back on your feet. During this time, it is important to get a lot of evaluations from different services in the area so that you are able to have some price comparisons and make sure you aren’t getting ripped off.
One nice thing about a handyman is that they will have a variety of home maintenance professionals at their disposal to solve your problems. This means they will usually have home maintenance plumbers, decorators, house painting experts and professional electricians on staff to be able to handle larger problems that are a bit more advanced. This is comforting because then you know that all of your repairs will be done correctly without having to worry about having future problems with it.
Professional to Handle Risky Home Maintenance Jobs
Certain home maintenance jobs are dangerous or need a special skill.
- Roof inspection: Not only dangerous but if you don’t know to look for cracked shingles, damaged venting, cracked rubber seals around vent pipes, stay off the roof.
- Gutter cleaning and repair: Unstable ground and landscaping is always a problem when cleaning or repairing your gutters. A pro will have the materials to fix leaks. Fix them now or replace your fascia, gutter and siding later.
- Tree trimming: Keeping limbs and leaves off your house is important and doing it safely without hurting your tree is better left to skilled hands.
- Pressure Washing: A professional will have the right equipment for the job. It is easy to gouge or damage decks and siding with the power of high-pressure water. Besides, it is one wet and dirty job.
Use a licensed or experienced contractor to get the job done right. Ask for referrals and references from anyone you have working in your home.
Quick Home Inspection can save you a Bundle
Every year take a walk around your house and give the windows and siding a good look. Here are a few things to look for that can save you a bunch of money on repairs later when doing home maintenance.
- Gaps in the siding: Look for gaps where siding has pulled apart due to seasonal expansion and contraction. Use good, elastic caulking (paint-able) to seal the gaps.
- Caulking windows and doors: Look for failed caulking around windows, top and sides especially. This a major cause of home damage and repairs. You may have to cut away the old calking before installing the new stuff during home maintenance.
- Soil contact: Check the siding and trim to be sure you have at least 6″ of clearance from wood surfaces and soil. Also, check moulding around exterior doors. It should not touch the cement or decking on the exterior. If it does, cut some away from the bottom and seal with the correct calking.
- Cracked fascia boards: Look at the boards that wrap around the roof line. Leaking gutters can cause water damage here and will just get worse if not addressed during home maintenance.
- Hose bibs: Anything that penetrates the exterior siding should be well sealed during home maintenance.
- Toilet and basin: Remove clog issues that occur in drainage pipe, kitchen sink and toilet basin.
If you are a DIY person, you may perform the above inspection yourself and let us know if you need our Handyman Maintenance Team to fix it for you. If you find the inspection too challenging, get us to do it. It is always better to maintain your home well and avoid major surprises which will cost you heavily to repair or replace.
Give us a call at (+65) 6871-4005 or email us to get a fee quote for home inspection. You may also wish to check out our competitive prices for general electrical repair work and our affordable prices for general plumbing work.